Purpose: The Louis Bay 2nd Library encourages volunteers to supplement the efforts of paid library staff to provide quality library collections, services and programs; serve as a method for area residents to become familiar with the library; and create opportunities for individuals to feel personal satisfaction while performing a valuable service for the community.
1. A volunteer is a person who performs tasks for the Louis Bay 2nd Library without wages, benefits or compensation of any kind. Examples include members of Boards, such as the Board of Trustees, Hawthorne Community Library Foundation and Friends of the Louis Bay 2nd Library. There are also service volunteers who do work for the Library and function in ways similar to staff.
2. Service volunteers are recognized by the public as representatives of the library and shall be guided by the same work and behavior codes as employees.
3. The Borough of Hawthorne does not provide workers compensation coverage for volunteers.
4. Service volunteers who work on a regular basis or at the Library building will fill out volunteer information registration forms which will be kept on file in Library Administration. Minor children may only work as volunteers with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
5. Service volunteers may be subject to background checks at the discretion of the director both before they begin work and at any point while performing volunteer duties.
6. All work performed by service volunteers is to be supervised by library staff.
7. Volunteer status is solely at the discretion of the Louis Bay 2nd Library.
Click here to download a background release form.
Click here to download a volunteer application.